Thursday, January 03, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love


OK, don't even start on me, because all the ladies at the pool were reading this book and you know me: I love the ladies...so I read the book.


The work: Elizabeth Gilbert was in the worst kind of a life rut you can be in -- at the edge of a divorce, miserably unhappy, and wracked by nightmares. She makes the decision to talk to God and - in doing so - decides to take control of loving herself and finding her path. In the course of 108 chapters (her beads) + 1 more for the road, Gilbert's EAT, PRAY, LOVE traces her journey through Italy, India, and Bali as she eats, prays, and rediscovers her love for herself.


It's a lovely quick read trying to be something more than that, but it doesn't deliver anything I haven't read before, written by more mature, thoughtful authors. I could reach for so many more inspiring texts, and - at the end - I was unhappy to discover that Gilbert is going to continue to profit from the end of her depression by writing a follow-up, which is apparently what you do when you have a NYTimes #1 Bestseller based on your life and you are still living your life.


It is, at times, insightful. It is, at times, humorous. It is, at times, poignant. But there's no new there there. And, therefore, no link and no recommendation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home