Monday, December 31, 2007

The Magician and the Cardsharp


The cover-quote on this wonder of a book by Karl Johnson says that "folk history of magic is irresistible" and I have to agree. But THE MAGICIAN AND THE CARDSHARP is so much more than a biography or a history text.


If you love magic - and I was entranced long before my beloved affiliation with Zovello - you simply must read this book. As Johnson retells the story of Dai Vernon's search for a man who can center-deal (deal flawlessly from the center of the deck), I felt like I was on a railcar travelling back in time. Johnson does a flawless job of research -- so much so that I know feel as though I've been to many of the places he writes about, even though I know I haven't. It's really a double-biography of sorts, but it's also a mystery, as we follow along as Vernon goes in search of the ultimate card man.


There is something beautiful about this story, and I can't yet put my finger on it, but it has made me want to get out a deck and NOT play with it. I just want to stare at the deck for a while and, by not touching the cards, pay homage to the masters who deserve the deal.
RECOMMENDED for those who love biography, who love mystery, and who love magic. What a joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home