Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian


Wowee wow wow wow. I've still got four or five books on the pile, but for my money this is the Book of the Year. Sure, I've read Sherman Alexie before; as a teacher in the Pacific Northwest, I've practically been raised on his work. But the cool part about, well being alive, is that sometimes you get to be breathing when a writer - and artist - like Alexie makes a gigantic leap forward in an otherwise brilliant career. And THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN is such a work.
I found myself crying over the main character's poetic outsider-insider status, one that Sherman has explored before, but never with such poingnant detail. A fabulous read from cover to cover, and that includes Ellen Forney's fabulous artwork! RECOMMENDED!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home