Sunday, December 23, 2007

Not Me



TWO BOOK DAY ALERT: So, Steve Shapiro came by during lunch, threw this book at me, and said, "Give it back in an hour." My reputation for insane reading preceeds me here, and I laughed. I finished Egan's novel soon after, so I picked up Lavigne's novel quickly. I was not disappointed. Michael Lavigne's NOT ME was a wonderful - and quick - read. It poses essential questions about "who we are" in the face of the choices that we make in our lives. A young man, handed his father's journals, discovers that his father is - quite literally - not the man he thought he was. I enjoyed the cultural elements at play (I could see my family dynamic present on many of the pages), but - more importantly - I was struck by how deeply connected I felt to the narrators experience. The novel hit close to home, and is lingering even now, hours later. RECOMMENDED.

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Me-Novel-Michael-Lavigne/dp/0812973321/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198470518&sr=1-1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home