Saturday, December 30, 2006

Book 18: The Things They Carried


OK, it's a redo, but I'm counting it anyway. I'm teaching Tim O'Brien's excellent novel The Things They Carried to my Senior English classes this year, so it required a re-read on my part -- a little freshening up on a novel I hadn't read for a number of years.

Many teachers refer to this work as the "ultimate" fictional work on the Vietnam War, and I think I agree. It's a masterwork, and I've yet to meet a high school student -- male or female -- that isn't deeply impacted and moved by the work.

That, my friends, is the end of my holiday reading. I took this afternoon off to enjoy a little more sun, so there is one orphan title on my list. Ah...the new year becons.

http://www.amazon.com/Things-They-Carried-Tim-OBrien/dp/0767902890/sr=8-1/qid=1167536230/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1976670-1036856?ie=UTF8&s=books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home