Saturday, December 30, 2006

Book 16: My Sister's Keeper - A Novel


This selection was the final book recommended by my friend Marta this year, and I know why she had this one on the list: My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, has a wonderful structure, some memorable characters, but its central feature is an ethical and moral dilemma...and she knew I'd bite.

The main character, Anna, was conceived by her parents so that she could be a bone-marrow donor for her sister, Kate. After giving in to 13 years of medical procedures, Anna finds an attorney and goes to court to become medically emancipated from her parents, thus denying her older sister the kidney she needs to live. The story calls into question just who is in charge of Anna's life -- and what role she really plays in a family dynamic marked by looming tragedy (both from the dying Kate and her brother, Jesse).

Picoult uses multiple narrators -- a different person each chapter -- so that readers can get into the mind of each of her main characters. It's not a novel approach, but it is effective. Soon, we are caught up with Anna's attorney and the secondary story of his relationship with Anna's guardian ad litem (and his wily service dog).

Picoult had me...right up until the last 10 pages. After that, I was off the deep end. Sadly, all of the elements that had me turning pages fell out of place so Picoult could put a bow on her story -- and I didn't buy it.

I liked the book, but I just can't recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sisters-Keeper-Jodi-Picoult/dp/0743454537/sr=8-1/qid=1167465798/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1976670-1036856?ie=UTF8&s=books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home