Monday, December 25, 2006

Book 11: Ordinary Wolves


A strong recommendation brought me to Seth Kantner's novel, Ordinary Wolves. I had been standing in my favorite indy bookstore, looking at the purple hues of the cover art (eh), and couldn't decide. MK (the bookseller) decided for me and added it to my pile of stuff. I'm glad she did.

"Ecological Fiction," as it is now called, isn't really my cup of tea. I live in the Pacific NW, so I get to see nature...I didn't think I needed to read it. Boy, was I wrong. It's hard to describe, in detail, the little details that Kantner includes to bring us into the life of Cutuk, the main character, and the family that surrounds him. Suffice it to say that the book is a remarkable gift to those of us who live in cities. In describing Cutuk's encounter with "the city," when he finally reaches it, we get to see just how far we are from the world around us.

I look forward to passing this book on to some of my peers when I get back from this book-y vacation that I'm on.

Recommended!

http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Wolves-Novel-Seth-Kantner/dp/1571310479/sr=1-1/qid=1167075493/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1976670-1036856?ie=UTF8&s=books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home