Sunday, December 24, 2006

Book 10: Kafka On The Shore


This book actually travelled with me all summer, and I never so much as cracked it open. It was giving off a vibe that said "don't read me until you are ready to read me." Now I know why.

The novel is a dual story -- a kind of dueling Odyssey -- between a 15-year old runaway and an elder man. It is both epic and metaphysical (don't even ask what Colonel Sanders is doing in the novel), and Haruki Murakami is an inspired and wonderful writer.

With that said, Kafka On The Shore felt incomplete to me. Don't get me wrong, Murakami is a freaking genius and his creativity seems boundless, it's just that I felt unresolved. There is a loneliness that pervades every character -- people in search of something that seems unknowable and outside of reality; but there is also a sense of fate -- that things are all coming together. And they don't.

So to say that I'm unresolved after 480 pages means that something is still missing for me. Or that I have more thinking to do. Which is likely the case....

http://www.amazon.com/Kafka-Shore-Haruki-Murakami/dp/1400079276/sr=8-1/qid=1166984031/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1976670-1036856?ie=UTF8&s=books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home