Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Book 13: State of Denial


For those of you under a variety of rocks, State of Denial continues Carl Bernstein's account of the Bush presidency's actions leading to the invasion of Iraq -- and then takes us beyond...deep into the morass. Specifically, Bernstein proves that the pen is mightier than the sword by using interviews, recreations, documents, and a variety of accounts to SCREW Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to the sticking place (where he belongs). This is so unflattering a portrayal that I have to wonder how Rumsfeld can even look at himself in the mirror (if he can even see himself in it at all...but that's another story).

I was angry enough by page 10 to say dreadful things out loud, but so worn down by page 150 that I didn't think I could finish the read at all. In a few hours, I had run myself ragged with frustration, resentment, and anger. By page 470, I couldn't imagine a world that hadn't impeached this President, run Rumsfeld up (and down) the flagpole, and sentenced most of Bush's inner circle to some kind of painful incarceration.

Through it all, Bernstein never lets you forget that Rumsfeld's continual bullying and grabs for power (and Bush's anti-intellectual approach) cost Americans -- and Iraqis -- their lives.

Sadly, I must highly recommend this book for all to read. I wish it hadn't happened at all....

http://www.amazon.com/State-Denial-Bush-War-Part/dp/0743272234/sr=8-1/qid=1167190302/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1976670-1036856?ie=UTF8&s=books

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home