Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Worst Hard Time


When I start my reading vacation, I'm always fearful that I won't remember the first book. I don't think that's going to be the case this year. Tim Egan's THE WORST HARD TIME is, in the words of Walter Cronkite, "can't-put-it-down history" and I think that he is dead-on because, well, I didn't put it down. Winner of the National Book Award, Egan tells the true story of life on America's high plains during the darkest period of the 20th Century: the dust storms that ravaged our nation during the depression.


In all candor, all I could roust of the dust bowl were Steinbeck-era references, but Egan pulled me right into the lives of the people that the dust storm destroyed. Although I will admit to having a hard time keeping the timeline and geography straight sometimes, I couldn't put the book down. The movie in my mind is frightful. Recommended.

1 Comments:

Blogger educat said...

I read this one a couple of years ago and yes, it's lovely.

I just wanted to reinforce that you've read some Okie lit.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home