Friday, December 28, 2007

In Persuasion Nation


I'm sitting at a pool, laughing my head off, trying to explain this book to just about everyone who comes by and wonders what medication I am on.
George Saunders' IN PERSUASION NATION is both laugh-out-loud funny, remarkably brilliant satire, and a sad and profound warning to all who eat from the beast that is American culture. Saunders is just flat-out hysterical, even when he is dancing the line between absurd and fanciful.
As I read, I kept wondering what he would do to our newfound obsession with celebrity now that he has destroyed American consumerism to the year 2004.

Some may argue that Saunders is just too smart for his own good, but I just don't buy that. I would buy that, of course, if a focus group worked out a good name for it, though. RECOMMENDED with a caveat: Don't plan on going shopping or watching TV for about a week after this read. OK, let's be honest. That isn't happening. But shop with care!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home