Monday, December 20, 2004

Vernon God Little

As I begin my yearly "14 books in 14 days" event, I'd like to pause and thank my friends at the Edmonds Bookshop. MK really knows her stuff and is a delight to talk to. If you like to shop locally, I recommend dropping by and spending some time talking books. And now, on with the show....

VERNON GOD LITTLE

The book jacket suggests that the novel will serve as a cross between "The Simpsons" and an evening with "The Osbournes," but I thought that the work was a little sadder and a little funnier than either of those two shows. Equal parts madcap romp and social commentary, the book was a delightfully quick read...if that can be said about a work that deals with school shootings, con men, refrigerator deliveries, and fried chicken. I enjoyed it for the voice of the narrator and the structure as much as anything. A good read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home