Tuesday, December 23, 2008

6: People of the Book


Again, I'd like to point out that I'm not supposed to be reading on this vacation, and that I've taken "a vow" to not read a book every day.  Clearly, I'm successful with these kinds of vows....

People of the Book is really, really lovely.  It blends my love for strong characters, multiple voices in a single text, archaeology, and Judaica.  It tells the story of a very special Hagaddah -- and all of the people who touched it - and whose lives it touched - along the way.

The book is quite lyrical and mysterious, without being wordy or secretive.  It just kind of opened up, slowly, to reveal itself to the reader.  I was taken by the "lead" narrator, and her journey of self-discovery as she attempts to unravel the clues left inside the illustrated book she has been asked to clean and curate.  As she makes new discoveries about the work, and about herself, we are transported back in time to meet the different people - and the stories of the book - whose journey seems to mirrors that of the narrator.

Highly recommended.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home