Tuesday, December 23, 2008

5: The White Tiger


Today didn't start well.  I found out early this morning that my friend Peter died last night.  He was so full of life that I thought he was going to beat cancer, altogether.  I was pretty lost for most of the morning, and finally decided to dive into a book to help me lose myself.

Aravind Adiga's novel - winner of the 2008 Man Booker Prize - is certainly one of my favorites of the year.  Sure, the narrator is one of the most interesting characters to be written in the past ten years -- and sure, the location of the novel is one of the most interesting places in the world.  But it is more than just those two things.

Adiga's voice is so strong here - and he has such a clear and sharp vision for this world - that the work feels painstakingly researched without feeling like a library.  

Truly, the main character is an anti-hero, but he deals with his reality with such strength and purpose that you want him to succeed, even if that means murder.  Every quote on the book jacket sets you up for a winner, and Adiga does not disappoint.  The novel is a wonder!

Recommended!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home