Sunday, December 21, 2008

1: Mr. Sebastian and the Negro Magician


I'm not a huge fan of Daniel Wallace.  I mean, I've seen Big Fish and I'm into magical realism, it's just that Wallace has never made me shout out loud or anything.  So, I approached this work with a little bit of reservation.

I shouldn't have.  It was a delightful read - living somewhere between my love for magic, history, multiple narrators in a single text, and storytelling.  It's almost impossible to discuss the plot of the book without tipping a hand, but suffice it to say that the majority of the action takes place in the South as Musgrove's Chinese Circus comes to town, with the worst magician ever as one of its lead performers.  And Henry Walker does not disappoint; he's a terrible magician... with a dark past and a horrible secret.  Oh, and the devil's in the book, and you know how I love to read about relatives.

Recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home