Tuesday, January 04, 2005


Will Eisner, RIP (1917-2005) Posted by Hello
I am deeply saddened tonight over the death of graphic novel artist and writer, Will Eisner. I have been collecting comic books for as long as I can remember. My "partner in crime" was a father-figure to me: a man named Peter Tibble. Peter and I shared a common love of comics, but we adored one hero in particular: The Spirit. A few years ago, my dear Peter passed away. Tonight, Eisner's death brought all of my love for Peter back up again.

Peter and I both loved The Spirit because he wasn't a superhero...and he always got the girl. The Spirit was a good guy (Denny Colt) who was killed and reborn (in a blue suit, mask, and gloves) to fight crime. Eisner never endowed The Spirit with superpowers: he was just a guy trying to make things right as he protected the city. Comic fans routinely call "The Spirit" the "Citizen Kane" of comics, as it broke new ground for the medium.

Tonight, as I read of Will Eisner's death, Peter's passion for life and comic collecting flashed back to me in an instant. As I sat and stared at the image of The Spirit I realized something I never noticed before: Peter looked just like him.

May peace bring you peace, Will Eisner. You are missed already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home